Posts Tagged ‘burial’

Vancouver has an island with the HMCS anchored as a Canadian Naval Base, it’s a pretty looking island with a more sinister name, because there are tales of human sacrifice and slaughter attached to it.

Local legend has it that in the 1700’s two tribes of the North and South Salish tribe were at war, during one particularly fierce battle the Southern tribe took women, children and elders as hostages. They were marked for death, the Northern tribes had hoped for peaceful reconcile but they were cruelly slaughtered and more than 200 Northern warriors were killed.

After a while the stories were forgotten and it was a burial place for the Salish First Nations and then European settlers. John Morton was one of Vancouver’s first settlers to visit in 1862. He discovered 100’s of red cedar boxes tied up in the trees and one had fallen open, it revealed a pile of bones and a tassel of black hair.

The new settlers pushed the Salish away, they used the island and grounds for their own cemetery which meant they were disturbing native grounds. On the grounds they buried suicides, railway casualties, Chinese lepers, prostitutes and all manner of what might be unsavoury types. Victims of the Vancouver Fire and the smallpox epidemic were added there too.

Burials stopped in 1887, ghost strories did not. Tales of inhuman and blood-curdling screams being heard from the island have been recounted. Supposedly figures walking on the island in the fog, with red glowing eyes, are amongst the tales.

A01923 CVA 677 136 Deadman's Island 191.jpg
A01923 CVA 677 136 Deadman’s Island 191” by Unknown – This image is available from the City of Vancouver Archives under the reference
number CVA 677-136
This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.

Vancouver Museums and Planetarium Association fonds. Licensed under Public Domain via Commons.

Terre Haute in Indiana has a little cemetery, the signs expressly forbid entrance to the Highland Lawn Cemetery during the evening. The caretaker probably has good reason too, there is a chance of a ghostly bulldog and his master are walking around.

The cemetery is the final resting place of John G Heinl, Stiffy Green was his bulldog. The kindly gent and his bulldog went everywhere, the dog would trot obediently behind at his heels and rarely let the master out of his sight.

In 1920 John Heinl passed away and Stiffy Green was inconsolable, the little bulldog would not leave his side even at the funeral and burial service. When someone tried to pull him away he would snap and snarl.

Heinl’s remains were placed in the family vault and Stiffy Green took his vigil outside it by the large bronze doors. No matter the weather the little dog sat there with his bright green eyes on watch, even when the family took the little guy home he would find his way back and carry on his watch.

Now whether or not it’s true, Stiffy was moved to Terre Haut’s Lion’s Club when teenagers no longer content with shining through a torch shot one of the little guy’s eyes out. To keep him safe they moved him.

Terre Hautions grew up with the legend but the Vigo County Historical Society have placed a more realistic slant on it saying that he was a statue built for the Mausoleum.

Either way he makes for a fantastic little story.