Posts Tagged ‘Ghost City’

This is a city in the area, which is part of the Exclusion Zone. It was the administrative centre of Chernobyl Raion since 1932. I’m going to go over the details only briefly but it’s certainly one for the pages as it’s another abandoned place of interest.

In 1986 the city was evacuated due to a disaster at it’s Nuclear Power Plant 14.5km to it’s north-northwest. The city was not the residence of the of the power plant workers but nearby Pripyat was built for them. After the accident the Chernobyl Raion administration was moved to nearby Ivankiv Raion.

The city is mostly inhabited, but a small number of people reside there with homes that state “Owner of this house lives here”. Workers on watch and administrations personnel are the only things close to long term residents outside of that. The city housed 14000 residents before the evacuation; nearly Slavutych was the specifically built area for
those evacuated.

First mentioned in 1193 Chernobyl has lain in the hands of Lithuania (13th Century), Polen (1569) The Russian Empire (1793) and has had a long history of border changes  mostly due to the political climate of its geography. Since the 1880’s it has seen many changed and in 1991 with the dissolution of the Soviet Union it remained part of the
Ukraine, now an independent nation. As of 2012 a small number of people remain in the area refusing to leave their native city.

April 26th 1986 Reactor #4 exploded, it happened at 1.23am and nearby  residents in Pripyat were asleep. Two workers were instantly killed and 40 hours later the residents of Pripyat were told to evacuate. Many never returned, many of the residents had already suffered varying degrees of radiation poisoning.

(CRDP) Chernobyl Recovery and Development Project was launched in 2003 by the United Nations Development Program. The program was based on the report initiated in Feb 2002. CRDP work s in the four most affected areas.

Photo’s Link here

Traversing the Three Gorges of Yangtxe River, starting from Chongqing, you will come to Fengdu, a ghost town between the county of Zhong and Peling with over 2000 years worth of history. It is placed by the foothill of the mountains by the river. There are 75 Buddha and Tao temped and most of them are gathered on a famous hill named Ming Mountain.
The legends state that Ming Mountain is one of the 72 graveyards for Taoism, when people die Taoists believe spirits gather together at these places. The temples on the hill were built during Western Jin Period, 265-420 AD, and rebuilt in the Ming and Ch’ing  Dynasty. (1386-1911AD). Fengdu is the only ghost city in China, there are temples all over the mountain with many statues. In the “spirit world” where they will gather there are a series of super beings in the temples They all have their own responsibility as they guard the spirit world.
3rd March to 15th of the lunar calendar months, there are livelly temple fair days. During those days there will be a lof of interesting spirit shows in the streets which attract tourists and believers. It has a great country forest park “Shuang Gui Shan”, Guiwang stone carding is one of the finest in the world and the area also hosts the most Han Tombs in China (graves from 206BC – 219AD). When travelling this appears to be a place not to miss!
It’s believed that Fengdu gained it’s reputation from two super beings, Wing Fangping and Yin Changsheng, both became super beings in Pingdushan, Fengdu. Their stories attract many believers and it’s said they merged the family names to become Yin Wang, meaning Ruler of Hell. Therefore it is a terrible and mystical place.
Li Bai, poet of the Tang Dynasty, wrote in his poam “it is interesting that all the people will be a citizen of Fengdu one day”. The fantastic novel “Journey to the West” also has vivid references to the city.
Nothing-To-Be-Done-Bridge: This was built during the Ming Dynasty and is a bridge that connects the real world and nether world. It is a testing point for good and evil, and according to legend is composed on three identical stone arches. The middle is for testing people, there are different tests depending on age, gender and marital status. Virtuous people would pass over without obstacle, evil people fall into the pool below and the other two arches from gold and silver are encouraged to be passed through bu visitors, they will bring good fortune.
Tianzi Palace: with 300 years of history covering 2908sq yards it has a temple gate (paifang) and the palace itself. The gate is an archway made of wood and stone reaching nearly 33 feet in height. It is located in the centre of the Ghost City and is the oldest of the temples on the Ming Mountain. The third test to avade hell takes place at the large stone in front of the gate, the ghost stands at the stone for thee minutes and a good person can do this, an evil person cannot. An evil person would then be sent to hell.
In 1985 the Home Tower was built, this structure is for the spirits that are consigned to hell. Here they are able to take one last look at their families.