Posts Tagged ‘Peter Underwood’

Peter Underwood (a renowned investigator) reported a case close to where I currently live. 1900’s Bilborough, Nottingham had several sightings of a ghost in cricket attired in a local council house.

Charles Hill was the occupant and was frightened away from his home. e first woke at night to see a young man dressed for the sport, with a handkerchief around the back of his neck. The apparition disappeared quite quickly and so Charles thought he was likely imagining it.

When it happened again a few nights later he became sure he was not dreaming. His daughter then spotted the ghost and Charles made the decision to leave the house. An investigation was conducted by the Ghost Club and they heard a sharp pistol shot that went off in a room but no one outside of that room heard it.

In a seance the name of the ghost was given and the mother of the unfortunate soul was found. She explained that her son had been paralysed in an accident and spent the rest of his life in that one room. He loved cricket and would be dressed in the outfit, on hot days he put the handkerchief on the back of his neck. After 18 months of the confinement her son shot himself with a revolver.

it is located in Mayfair, Central London. In the 1900’s t was known as the most haunted house in London. It was made famous by Peter Underwood’s mention of it in Haunted London. For those that are not aware Peter Underwood is famous for his investigations into Borley Rectory and was the literary executor of the Harry Price Estate, he is well respected for his approach into Paranormal Research.

From 1770 to 1827 it was the home of British Prime Minister George Canning, it has since changed hands a fair few times but is now an antiquarian book dealers, Maggs Bros.

Legend has it that the attic is haunted by a young woman who committed suicide in it, she threw herself from the top after being abused by an uncle. In contrast there was another story it was a man locked in the attic room, fed through a hole in the door until he went mad and died.

George Canning was the first to report odd noises and strange things whilst living there. In 1885 the house was brought by Mr Myers who had been jilted by his fiancee. It was here that he slowly went mad and the reputation grew from there on.  As a bet in 1872 a Lord stayed the night, shot at an apparition but then found only the cartridges in the morning.

In Mayfair Magazine. 1879. a maid that stayed in the attic was found to have gone mad. She later died in an asylum the following day and oh the day she was reported to have been found a nobleman took up the challenge to stay the night, he was then found dead and the coroner pronounced it was due to fright.

1887 Sailors from the HMS Penelope stayed the night, on was dead in the morning having tripped as he ran from the house.  Another reported that the ghost of Mr Myers rushed towards them.

Curiously the house has not had any reports since the Magg’s Brother’s got the place in the 1930’s and remark that the tale of the house seems all too familiar in comparison with Lord Lytton’s story The Haunted and The Haunters.