Posts Tagged ‘ruined’

The village is the only official ghost town in Poland, it is in the voivodeship of West Pomeranian and abandoned, as of 1993. It was originally a German training ground for a branch of Nazi’s and then after World War II, a base for the Red Army, only existing on Russian Military maps thanks to that. Once they withdrew in 1993 it became vacant.

Originally the area was a small settlement, Westfalenhoft, and in the 1930’s the Wehrmacht planners built a large military base. A polish newspaper from the 1939 reported the numbers of personnel at 600,000. In the Autumn of 1939 the German’s then opened a POW camp at the site, by November 1939 there were 6,000 Polish soldiers and 2,300 Polish civlians. It was renamed to Oflag II D Gross-Born in June, 1940 and was used for French Officers and Polish POW’s from the other camps. Westfalenhoft was eventually taken over by the Red Army in January 1945. It was officially Polish territory but it was occupied and held by the Soviet Union. The Polish were not allowed entry, it was renamed Grodek and the village was not named on Polish maps.

The parts of the base not needed were razed by Red Army servicemen, the base had around 6,000 Russian soldiers. The debris from the village was sent back to Warsaw, used to help rebuild the city. When it was vacated as part of the collapse of the Soviet Union the area was handed back to the Polish. It was guarded by the Polish army for a year, after which it was handed over to civilian authorities.

There was an attempt to sell the area for redevelopment but it did not happen, there were other suggestions like turning it into a drug rehabilitation centre, or perhaps a prison but it’s also worth noting anything of monetary value has already been looted. In 2011 I found reference to five residents but there is no bus route there and the nearest shop is 4km away, so it’s not likely to be a cosy place to stay.

I first came across notes about the area on a show called Stupid Man, Smart Phone. Whilst it is a ghost town it is not abandoned and is regularly visited, and seems to be a tourist spot for some. Have you been?

Kłomino.jpg
By RzuwigOwn work, Public Domain, Link

 

Advertisements

It is labelled as one of the most haunted places in South Korea, but the background may have more sadness to them over the stories of the paranormal. It, like many, carries the stories about doctors as mad as their patients. Supposedly a spate of mysterious deaths contributed to the closure of the institute.

The hospital has really been a victim of ‘fakelore’ which hasn’t done the local area any favours either. It is closed to the public and suffers from people breaking in due to vandalism.

The hospital was closed down mainly due to increased cost and demand on economical levels. Lack of money no doubt led to unsanitary conditions and there was a problem with the sewage disposal unit. The owner then went off the United States and left without doing any paperwork.

The Korean lack of money outside of the larger area often means that buildings are left abandoned. The run down areas and ghost stories then become a detriment to the area as they put off anyone new moving in.

It also promotes criminals to use these places as hideouts, and an example – whilst not Gonjiam – is from 2010 when Kim Gil-Tae killed a 13 year-old and hid out in an abandoned house in Pusan to avoid the police. It is not always just about ghost stories and ghost hunting, there are other issues that should be taken into consideration, especially when they seem made-up to the detriment of those around them.

A beautiful shot here!

Gonjiam Mental Hospital 곤지암 정신병원

A small island in the East River, between the Bronx and Riker’s Island, New York City. Once a hospital it is now pretty much a bird sanctuary, and uninhabited. It’s smaller companion is the South Brother Island, not located all too far away.

It was uninhabited until 1855 when the Riverside Hospital relocated there from what is now Roosevelt Island.

The island was also the site of a wreck of the General Slocum, a steamship. It had a fire on board, June 15th 1904, and a thousand people died before the ship beached up on the shores. The bodies also washed up on the shore.

In the 1950’s a centre was opened to treat young drug addicts. Heroin addicts were confined to the island and locked up until they were cleaned up. By the 1960’s widespread staff corruption and patient recidivism forced it’s closure.

 

Riverside_Hospital_North_Brother_Island_crop

Riverside Hospital North Brother Island crop” by reivax from Washington, DC, USA – Riverside Hospital. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons.

Located in Colchester, England, it was a psychiatric hospital that opened May 1913. The 300 acre site house 2000 patients, the ‘Echelon’ plan meant staff could go through the complex without needing to step outside in bad weather.

Patients were separated by gender, and patients were seemingly at the whim of the psychiatrists. Frontal Lobotomy and Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) were used, and it was stated that women were put in there by family members if they had illegitimate children or were the victims of rape.

1960’s saw a change in management, the use of drugs and changes in practices meant the old days of terror were disappearing. The hospital closed in the 1990’s and some buildings have suffered from arson attacks. Redevelopment appears to be the biggest contender to any loss of the existing buildings.

It has an interest for the urban explorers because there are remnants of equipment and a mortuary with the body refrigerator units still inside.

 

In the 1960’s two gardener’s reported seeing a couple of featureless characters working in the gardens. As they approached to find out more about them they dissipated.

 

Severalls_Hospital_207545

 

 

“Severalls Hospital 207545” by Glyn Baker – http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/207545. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons – http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Severalls_Hospital_207545.jpg#mediaviewer/File:Severalls_Hospital_207545.jpg

Chenzhuang Village, Nankou in Changping District has an unfinished amusement part, it is about 20 miles away from Beijing. It was going to be a massive project by Thailand based property developer Reignwood Group. in 1998 however, the construction stopped following financial problems with local officials. A further attempt was made in 2008 but again it also failed.

The site had a number of structures there such as a castle, medieval outbuilding etc and people had reported that there were still parking attendants there, this was presumably to keep an eye on the onlookers and curiosity seekers.

In May 2013, the site was finally razed. There will be no finished project for the amusement park and instead where it once lay there is a strong chance there will now be a supermarket, however the last information suggests they are going through the planning formalities.

Now if this writer were to create any legends for those urban seekers I’d probably go with the following:

  1. The park can be seen reappearing once every xx years and reports have even suggested lights and working rides.
  2. The Parking Attendants were actually secret officials and it was never meant to be an amusement park, instead it was briefly used for a secret testing facility underground.

What would you make for  a story here?

Credit for the picture: “Wonderland Park near Beijing” by Tormod Sandtorv – http://www.flickr.com/photos/tormods/7416462642/. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons – http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wonderland_Park_near_Beijing.jpg#mediaviewer/File:Wonderland_Park_near_Beijing.jpg

 

Wonderland_Park_near_Beijing